Tuesday 6 December 2011

GC: Assignment #14... Part I

So we arrived to the 14th assignment~ few weeks left before the port folio day... *Nervous!

Okay, first of all... after doing a little research on residences during Nara period (8th century), I decided on Fujiwara no Toyonari's mansion.

The first source I could find in our own Resource Centre is this book : 'What is Japanese Architecture: A Survey of Traditional Japanese Architecture' by Kazuo Nishi and Kazuo Hazumi, first published in 1985 by Kodansha America. I got the second edition, published in 1996 by Kodansha International.


About the book: it's a super guide for the understanding of the form and structure of traditional, historic Japanese architecture. Many diagrams of structures. Not lots of photos - but the illustrations of construction techniques, plans, sections and elevations give a different perspective than the plentiful picture books of Japanese architecture.

A clip from the book. Just a preview. This is copyright material. 


The challenge here is to understand the measurement used during this period which are the ken (translated to 'bay' in English), shaku, and sun. Up to this day, 1 ken is approximately to 1.818m, and every ken is equivalent to 6 shaku and 1 shaku is equivalent to 10 sun. For this very assignment, I only used up until shaku and that's it.

About this mansion, it belonged to Fujiwara no Toyonari and according to the book aforementioned above, it was thought to have five ken wide and 3 ken deep. Referring to the one after Sekino Masaru, seems to me the mansion was built symmetrically.

I also found the mansion being illustrated in D.K. Ching's book, Design Drawing. The illustration in there is clearer and closer to the real measurement.

As for the assignment, we have to do the floor plan, the elevations, and later on the axonometric plan view. I'm half way done for the floor plan (I was home throughout the previous week) so I barely started the drawing.

Any who, I'm going to gather some information on IBE's assignment before getting on with this one.


Signing out!

E

No comments:

Post a Comment