Thursday 1 December 2011

Getting Inspired

I read about this on Tanggam.com and I would like to share with you guys out there...

The title of the post is "Mental Block? No Idea for Design?"

Point number one would be reading some magazines that has good reviews first. Not just looking at pictures. Some reviews are descriptive, some are critical. Go for critical ones as these can tell you not only what's good about a design but also WHY. They also often compare with other good or similar design.

...and of course, it goes without saying that we need to improve our vocabulary each and every day for this... If you think you can tackle heavy reading right away, you're wrong. I learned it hard way so trust me. 

Point number two is traveling. But only when you have obtained comfortable amount of vocabulary then it is wise to travel to great places. I'm talking about design language vocabulary here. We have to be able to communicate what we see and feel when we go to a site. Simply 'nice', 'cozy', and 'beautiful' aren't just good enough. We must know what exactly that makes us feel that way and why or else traveling or visiting great places might not reveal any substantial results within the time frame.

I really have to agree with the point stated above. A lecturer suggested for us to go somewhere around the city to explore local architecture but it seems that it'll go to waste if we're not sure what are we looking at... or looking for... 


As for myself, the first thing I do after I turned on the research mode button, I just started Googling and Yahoo!-ing. Then I'll holed up in the university library for hours, trying to get some books that can help me. Followed with sessions of few minutes with some seniors.... 


Okay, I guess that's all. I'll post some more later!


No comments:

Post a Comment